What are the concluding lyrics to the Flintstone theme song?

February 15, 2000

You've come to the rescue before by sorting out garbled lyrics to rock songs and whatnot. Now I need you to help me sort out a song that's been bugging me for years. I finally learned the true meaning of the confusing lines at the beginning of the Flintstones theme song ["Let's ride with the family down the street / THROUGH THE COURTESY OF FRED'S TWO FEET ..."], but I'm still baffled by a garbled line that is sung at the conclusion of the show. It sounds like "From the Davy Crackle win the fight / then the cat will stay out for the night ..." The part about the cat I get, but who the heck is Davy Crackle?

SDStaff McCaffertA replies:

I worked with heavy equipment and explosives for several years, and I can't hear, either ... how'd it happen to you? The words you are trying to make out are "Some day, maybe Fred will win the fight." Here's the whole theme song, near as we can make it out:

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stone age family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.
Let's ride with the family down the street.
Thru the courtesy of Fred's two feet.
When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time.

[At close of show]

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones
They're a modern stone-age family
Come on, down to Bedrock
It's a place right out of history
Someday, maybe Fred will win the fight
And the cat will stay out for the night
When you're with the Flintstones
Have a yabbadabba-doo time
A dabba-doo time
We'll have a gay old time

For more info (did you know the Flintstones were originally supposed to be called the Flagstones?), check out this Web site.

A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Dogster, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Ian, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Melis, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board