What's the origin of "sight for sore eyes"?

June 16, 2005

Could you tell me the origin of the idiom "sight for sore eyes"? I know it's a good thing, but someone special in my life takes it to mean exactly the opposite.

"A sight for sore eyes," meaning "I'm glad to see you," uses definition 5  for "sore" from my American Heritage Dictionary: "full of distress; grieved; sorrowful." Sore in this sense is used frequently in the King James Version of the Bible. In the Christmas story, for example, the "shepherds were sore afraid," meaning they were skeered something terrible, not that they had muscle fatigue (although a shepherd's life is hard). So a "sight for sore eyes" translates as something like, "the sight of you puts my mind at ease." As an aside, if I had a dime for every time I've seen "A Site For Sore Eyes" outside an optometrist's office, I could buy eyewear for shepherds everywhere.

A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Dogster, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Ian, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
A Straight Dope Staff Report by SDStaff Melis, Straight Dope Science Advisory Board