How did they figure out the M&M color mix?

Why, in a bag of M&Ms, are there always lot of "dark browns" and "yellows," but only a few "light browns" and "greens"? And what does "M&M" stand for, anyway?

M&M stands for the two confectionery geniuses, Mars and Murrie, who founded the firm back in 1928 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, which also happens to be the home of the 3M company (why does this seem significant?). M&M is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Mars (hmm …) Candy Corporation, manufacturers of such venerable teeth rotters as Milky Ways, Three Musketeers, and … Snickers. Shoot. For a second there I thought I had evidence of another Illuminati plot.

M&Ms are colored strictly for eye appeal. Contrary to popular mythology–generations of pre-schoolers have lusted after the elusive “greens”–there’s no difference whatever in flavor between the colors. M&M’s market research has revealed that one particular blend–roughly 60 percent dark brown, 30 percent yellow, and 10 percent “other”–is irresistible to the candy consuming public.

Send questions to Cecil via cecil@straightdope.com.

Comment on this Column