Dear Straight Dope:
Your advice on cleaning mushrooms doesn't "wash." If washing them is not recommended because of their absorption, how about the popular dried mushrooms that must be rehydrated for use? Almost every variety is available dehydrated. Back to the books Cecil and staff!!!
Dear God, of all the things to argue about. First of all, the original question was about FRESH mushrooms. Fresh mushrooms have a moisture content to begin with, hence the tendency to go soggy quickly. Second of all (excuse me while I bang my head against the wall here), the absorbent qualities of mushrooms are a BONUS when reconstituting dried specimens; you WANT them to suck up water like a sponge so they’ll approximate their original texture and flavor. As for you, Cyndy, I don’t know what kind of mushrooms YOU’RE eating. But don’t operate any heavy machinery, OK?
Send questions to Cecil via firstname.lastname@example.org.
STAFF REPORTS ARE WRITTEN BY THE STRAIGHT DOPE SCIENCE ADVISORY BOARD, CECIL'S ONLINE AUXILIARY. THOUGH THE SDSAB DOES ITS BEST, THESE COLUMNS ARE EDITED BY ED ZOTTI, NOT CECIL, SO ACCURACYWISE YOU'D BETTER KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED.